Thursday, May 5, 2011

defur family.

I still get just a little bit nervous each time I set out to do a photo session with anyone. It doesn't have to be a royal wedding. It can be a newborn baby or even one of my best friends or even my own nieces and nephews. I still have to take a couple deep breaths to calm my nerves. I think it keeps me grounded and makes me think about getting great shots. What I sometimes forget, is that sometimes my clients get nervous too. And sometimes, it's a little 4 year old who gets so nervous that he barely wants to come out of his shell.
If you know me at all, or if you follow my blog, I LIVE to photograph weddings. Probably more than that though, I LIVE to give everyone's personal picture frame a gorgeous family photo to fill it. Having never really had one REAL, true family photo growing up--mom, it doesn't count that you were "pregnant" with me--I constantly seek to fill the walls of peoples homes with a great family photo.

Sometimes, because little ones get nervous too, it makes my job rough and tough! I have to crawl around on the ground, laugh like a wild hyena, pretend I'm 2 (which I happen to be incredible at!) ask 3 million questions and try hard. And when you still don't get the reactions you are trying to so hard to get out of some kids, you try try again. And when you feel like you're never going to become best friends with some of those kids, you really have to pull out all the stops.

Enter, my friend the Starburst candy. Why on earth a little square piece of goodness wrapped up like a present on Christmas is so amazing for little kids, but it's like magic in a bottle. Or at least it's magic in my camera bag of tricks! It's good for me to remember sometimes that little kids get nervous too, and sometimes it just takes a ton of patience, a couple hyena laughs, and a good bunch of candy in your pocket to make all the difference to a little guy who isn't so sure about who you are, and why you're wanting him to hug his little sister!

So I'm telling you all this story because we all get nervous and I know sometimes it is stressful for my families to ever think I'll get a good shot of their family. But with a ton of patience and my sack o candy, nothing is impossible. Little AJ is probably one of my new favorite people I've ever photographed! He wasn't sure about me at first, but I'm just in love with his adorable smile that finally made an appearance! Once it came out, it didn't leave! And I just love the shots we got of him. I love the shots we got of him and little sister together too!

Tony, Katie dear, I have to tell you both I'm so glad we got together for pictures! Your family is darling, and I'm not kidding, I just love AJ! See, I told you I would get a great smile out of him if it were the last thing I did! I think he did amazing once we got past all of our nerves...and with the help of the Starburst of course! I love a good challenge, and now we should totally be best friends! Your kiddos are totally the best, but I know you already know that! Thanks for hanging through it all, and I hope you love your photos like I do! Your family is just gorgeous!
www.bodellphotographyonline.com